We’re living in the last days and the amount of heresy that’s in our world today has grown astronomically.
Do you know what it takes to get saved? Test your knowledge and see if you are 100% sure about what the Bible says it takes to go to heaven.
This is a really important lesson in you being a successful witness for Christ. If you’re going to successfully lead people to Jesus, then you need to be 100% sure that you are telling them the truth in love.
But First, a Word About False Teachers
There are many false teachers out there throughout the different denominations of Christianity. Some of them you can easily spot while others are harder to detect.
One example of a heretic that’s easy to spot is Rob Bell. Rob doesn’t believe that there is a hell and he preaches that all people will get saved.
He came to this conclusion because he has a problem with God allowing people who have never heard of Jesus to go to hell.
This type of heresy is known as universalism.
The thing is that people don’t go to hell because they’ve never heard of Jesus.
People go to hell because they have broken God’s moral law (the 10 commandments).
God has written His law on the tablets of our hearts and He has given us a conscience (Romans 2:15).
He has revealed Himself to all people through His creation so that on the day of judgement we are without excuse (Romans 1:20).
Revelation 21:8 tells us, “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
For the wages of sin is death (Romans 3:23) and the soul that sins shall die (Ezekiel 18:20)
But praise God for giving us eternal life through the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.
What Does it Take to Escape God’s Judgement and Make it to Heaven?
Believe in Jesus
1. Acts 16:31 – “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
2. Referring to Jesus, Peter says in Acts 4:12 – “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
3. John 3:36 – “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
Repent of Your Sins
Repenting is a personal choice to do a u-turn from our sins. It is a fruit that is a result of us receiving Jesus.
1. Jesus said in Luke 13:3, “…Unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”
2. 2 Corinthians 7:10 − “For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.”
3. When Paul addressed the Athenians in the Areopagus in Acts 17:30 he said, “The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent.”
4. Jesus Himself told the disciples after His resurrection in Luke 24:46-47, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”
So there you have it, to get saved and go to heaven, one has to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and has to repent of their sins.
A genuine belief in the Lord will cause us to forsake our sins and live a righteous life by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Not that we will ever be sinless, but by the power of God we will sin less. Tweet
Do you think that in order to get saved, repentance is necessary? Does this kind of preaching lack grace?
[image credit to Jon Romero]