Have you ever wondered if there was a way to clean out all of your direct messages with just one click? Are you getting a lot of spam messages in your direct message inbox and you want to just clean it out, once and for all?
You might be surprised to learn that there’s actually no way for you to delete ALL of your direct messages at once using Twitter. However, there is a free 3rd party app that you can use to do this for you.
You’ll find out all the details in just a minute but before we go any further, here are 3 reasons why you might want to delete all of your direct messages:
1. You get a lot of spam messages from Twitter spammers and you want to clear your inbox
2. You replied to all of your direct messages and you want to use your direct message inbox as a notification system of when you receive new messages
3. You’ve never cleaned our your inbox before and you have hundreds of messages that are cluttering up your inbox
I use my direct message inbox as a notification system to let me know of messages that I haven’t replied to yet. Everyday, I reply to people who have direct messaged me and after I’m done, I delete all of the remaining direct messages.
Most of the direct messages that I receive consist of spam, people trying to sell me something that I haven’t solicited, a boring automated direct message, etc.
Even if you don’t want to clean out all of your direct messages, this web app will give you options to delete direct messages older than 7 days or 30 days in case you want to hold on to your more recent messages.
How to Delete Your Twitter Direct Messages
1. Head on over to Social Oomph and sign up for a free account. Social Oomph is a web app that helps you manage your social media accounts. They have both a free and paid version. What I’m showing you today works on both the free and paid versions.
2. Once you’ve signed up, log in to your account where you will see your dashboard like this. Click on Purge My Twitter DM Inbox.
3. Next you’ll be taken to the screen like the one below. Choose whether you want to delete all of your direct messages, messages older than 7 days, or messages older than 30 days.
4. You’ll get a warning message telling you that the purge is permanent. Click Ok to continue.
5. You’ll get a confirmation message telling you that the purge is complete.
That’s it! You can now enjoy a clutter-free direct message inbox .
You might also want to check out this blog post about how to get more Twitter followers than people you’re following or how to follow hundreds of people in less than 5 minutes.